People have searched for the fountain of youth for centuries. We still look for a way to live not only for a long time, but to live healthfully.
Pills, potions and serums to beat “old age” are a million (perhaps even billion) dollar a year industry.
It seems that there are four places in the world where people have successfully aged up to 90-100 years.
These are known as blue zones. Dan Buettner, a writer for National Geographic, has documented common factors among the people who inhabit these blue zones.
In Okinawa, Japan; Sardinia, Italy; Loma Linda, Calif.; and Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica people live longer and healthier without taking pills and supplements.
Their secrets include:
- Stay physically active
- Limit caloric intake to meet needs
- Avoid meat and processed foods
- Drink in moderation and choose red wine containing antioxidants
- Surround yourself with family
- Manage your stress
- Be part of a community and stay engaged
- Keep a positive attitude
- Interact with like minded people who help support your achieving the previous goals
You don’t have to move around the world to take advantage.
You can incorporate their “secrets” into your life and achieve the desired goal.
Our lifestyle choices are the primary determinant of how we will age not our genetics.
How will you age?