Mother’s Day is a special day of celebration, recognition and remembrance for the women who shaped our generation – – and us as individuals.
We celebrate the women who spent their days caring for their children and their households, many receiving very little recognition, praise or thanks.
Now it is our turn to care for our mothers. We have stepped forward to be caregivers of not only our own children and households, but possibly also our aging mothers.
Being thrust into this position is not a burden but a joy, even though at times it exhausts us physically, emotionally and financially. It can often add pressure to our days but in the long run, we will be forever grateful that we answered the call. There are many women and men who have taken on the role of family caregiver to aging mothers and who stop to take time out today to celebrate the gifts they were given.
Let us join together and show our love and respect for our mothers.
Mother’s Day Facts
- It is celebrated in almost every country and is the third most popular special day worldwide.
- In 1914 Congress designated the second Sunday in May as Mother’s Day.
- In 2008 there were an estimated 85.4 million mothers in the United States.
- The number one choice for flowers for mom is a mixed bouquet, roses are fourth on the list but the special flower for Mother’s Day is a carnation.
- Top 5 gifts given in 2010-cards, flowers, meal out, gift certificate, and finally clothing.
Inspirational Quotes and Poem
“It is not until you become a mother that your judgment
slowly turns to compassion and understanding.”- Erma Bombeck
“The watchful mother tarries nigh, though sleep has closed her infant’s eyes.” – John Keble
Mothers Are The Gardeners by Nicholas Gordon
Mothers are the gardeners
Of wind-blown wild flowers.
They water them with happy tears,
Happy with them many years,
Even as the hours
Ring with sweet, sad melodies
Sighing through their bowers.
We hope you all have a special day with your mothers in person, from a distance – – or in your memories of them.
Thank you Mom!
We love you!