Unleash the Power of Age!
Beginning in 1963, May has been the month to appreciate and celebrate the vitality and aspirations of older adults and their contributions and achievements.
Well, the designated month, at least, as the appreciation should be year-round.
Join Senior Care Corner as we recognize and celebrate our elders’ contributions and commitment to our communities over their lifetimes.
This year’s Older Americans Month theme—“Unleash the Power of Age!”—emphasizes the important role of older adults. This May, communities across the nation will recognize older Americans as productive, active, and influential members of society.
Be a Part of Older Americans Month Activities
Senior Care Corner encourages you to take part in the celebrations in your community.
- Look for upcoming local events and join in!
- Follow other communities in honoring seniors across the country as they unleash the power of aging through the Administration on Aging (AoA) activities.
If you can’t find activities in your community, create your own.
- Arrange a special event at a local nursing home
- Throw a celebration luncheon at a community senior center
- Volunteer for Meals on Wheels
- Design an innovative activity; it need not be big or extravagant, but simply show seniors what they’ve done and what they’re doing is appreciated
While Senior Care Corner provides information, support, and resources to family caregivers of older adults year-round, during Older Americans Month we take the opportunity to show special appreciation and thank our seniors for their service and dedication to our country and local communities!
To learn more about activities and events planned for Older Americans Month, or to find ideas about what you can do to unleash the power of age, contact your local Area Agency on Aging office or calling 1(800)677-1116 to find ongoing opportunities to celebrate and support older Americans.
While celebrating seniors in the community, let’s be sure not to overlook those in our own lives!