End of life healthcare treatment is something most adults in the US have considered and most all have heard about living wills. Relatively few, though, actually have living wills in place.
Enter National Healthcare Decisions Day (NHDD), an education effort regarding the need for advance healthcare planning – – and the importance of healthcare facilities honoring those plans.
In this episode of the Senior Care Corner Radio Show we talk about NHDD and use it as a springboard to encourage family caregivers and their senior loved ones to have their own family healthcare decisions day.
Family Healthcare Decisions
What do we mean by “healthcare decisions”? We’re talking about the type of care a person wants to receive – and that not wanted – when potentially at the end of life, when life depends on the measures performed. Examples of these measures include receiving CPR, being placed on a ventilator or being fed via a tube.
Why are we taking about this now? Putting aside that we frequently talk about the need for living wills, advance directives and the family conversations that help make those decisions, we want to get families planning to have these discussions this summer. Summer is, after all, a time when many families come together from their scattered homes.
Listen to the feature segment in this episode for our discussion of family healthcare decision making, including reasons why it’s important and how families may approach the conversation.
Preparing for the Family Advance Healthcare Directives Discussion
We also discuss how families can make the conversation more successful with some advance preparation.
- Learn about what “advance directives” mean, not just the term but the implications for those making and formalizing the decisions as well as for their family members.
- Research what is required in your state, or states for dispersed family members, and which decisions are covered.
- Gather descriptions, and maybe even some online videos, of various means of life support to give a better understanding of what is involved with the decisions to be made.
- Consider consulting an attorney or other legal reference source to see what the necessary forms look like and what information is needed to complete them.
Catch the full discussion in this episode of the Senior Care Corner Radio Show.
News Items in this Episode
- Pool Exercise May Build Strength, Reduce Falls
- Mobility Shoes May Help Those with Arthritic Knees
- Many Americans Skipping Medications to Save Money, CDC Says
- Few US Seniors Take Advantage of Shingles Vaccine
Links Mentioned in this Episode
- National Healthcare Decisions Day website
- A past discussion of ours on Seniors’ Five Wishes: Key Health & End of Life Decisions
- Information about Living Wills / Advance Directives on LegalZoom, a source for research or do-it-yourselfers
Have a story about your family healthcare decisions day discussion you’d like to share? Leave us a comment and let everyone benefit from your experience.
We hope you enjoy this episode of the Senior Care Corner Radio Show and find it informative.
Podcast Transcript – so you can follow along or read at your convenience