Caring for a senior family member can be very rewarding. Doing so can also bring with it a number of costs, many of them hidden, that are borne by the family caregiver. Even when caring for an aging parent or grandparent is an act of love, financial costs can result in strains that impact other areas of our lives.
Planning for added costs can help caregivers budget to avoid financial jams or even to save in advance of these needs. In the feature segment is this episode of the Senior Care Corner Podcast we discuss a number of those costs to help family caregivers plan.
Knowing up front what costs you might face can help you plan for them but certainly doesn’t guarantee you’ll be able to pay them when they arise. To address this we also mention some resources available to seniors and their families.
Senior Care Corner News Items
- Social Security celebrating 75 years of service to Americans
- Medicare prescription drug premiums will not increase for 2012
- Americans looking to food to improve their health
- Benefits checkup from the National Council on Aging
Links from this episode
- Social Security Administration (also at 800-772-1213)
- Benefits Checkup (from the National Council on Aging)
- National Council on Aging
- Information resources from the US Government
We hope you enjoy this episode and find it useful. If you have any questions or comments or even a story of your own to share with our readers, please leave a comment on this post or on our Facebook wall!
Podcast transcript (so you can follow along or read at your convenience)