As we get older, our feet start to wear out, and we no longer have the same options available to us in terms of shoes. We need footwear that will support our feet, so we can’t go around wearing tough leather boots or skimpy heels.
Our bodies are less tough than they once were, which means it’s all the more important to prevent falls or other accidents by giving ourselves a sturdy base for walking around. A suitable pair of shoes can be the difference between maintaining our independence and having to rely on other people for our day to day needs.
That’s not to say that we just have to stick to specific ‘old people’ shoes, though – there are still plenty of shoes available that are both comfortable and fashionable, so you can look good and feel good.
After all, why should the young whipper snappers have all the fun? More and more manufacturers are catering to the senior market, allowing us to embrace our advanced years like never before.
Here are 18 of our favorite shoes that combine the functionality you need with the stylishness you want – time to kick off those old slippers and treat your feet!
These shoes are marketed as diabetic edema shoes, and they have an extra wide design to accommodate feet that have lost some of their elasticity and sagged slightly at the arches.
They have an air cushion to create more depth between your feet and the ground, spreading the weight and reducing the pressure on your heels. They are comfortable to wear all day, and the large velcro strap makes them easy to put on and take off.
In terms of appearance, these sneakers come in a range of muted colors to complement your outfits. We particularly like the dark gray, but you can also choose from black, beige, blues and other grays. The velcro design gives them a homely slipper vibe, while also securing them properly on your feet for all your daily activities.
- Extra depth to relieve pressure on your feet
- Available in various colors
- Easy velcro closure – no fiddly laces or zips
- Suitable for both men and women
- You may think they look too much like slippers for your taste
- You may find you require more width and flexibility than they offer
If you’re a fan of walking, you’ll need a shoe that is designed to be worn for long periods of time. These walking shoes certainly fulfill that requirement – they are lightweight and made of breathable materials to keep your feet nice and comfortable all day. They also have a memory foam heel that is cushioned to line your foot perfectly.
Skechers are a big name in the shoemaking industry, and they are well known for their range of trendy lifestyle footwear. With these shoes, you get an ultimate in performance materials for your comfort, accompanied by the recognizable Skechers logo. There is no closure mechanism necessary, as you just slip them on and go. Choose your color, then wear them for any occasion.
- They come in different colors
- Made of breathable material to keep your feet dry
- Memory foam heel molds to the shape of your feet
- They may feel not as secure without a usual fastening mechanism
Crocs have gained prominence within the last decade or so, and have been the go-to comfy shoe ever since. Anyone can wear crocs, and it’s well-known that they offer plenty of support for your feet as well as a desirable feel.
The unique design, which was first made commercially available in 2002, features lightweight materials and a number of holes in the top to ensure breathability.
These particular Crocs are unisex and can be worn by people of any gender. They incorporate LiteRide foam technology, which is what makes the insoles so soft and durable – you will almost feel like they have become a part of you, and they will definitely last you a long time. Choose between a range of colors, from smart black to an electric pink/white combo.
- Lightweight and easy to wear for long periods
- Innovative materials such as LiteRide foam help to increase softness and overall comfort
- Available in many colors and suitable for men or women
- The unique look can put people off
- May have to order a size up for a relaxed fit
Another excellent offering from Skechers, these Mary Janes are as cute as they are comfortable. The upper is made of 100% fabric that doesn’t weigh heavily down on your feet, and the cushioned insole contains a layer of memory foam that runs along the whole length and gives an ideal base. These shoes can absorb shocks with ease, so they’re ready to protect your feet from anything.
In contrast to many of the other shoes in this list, you would be perfectly able to wear these for formal occasions. While most comfort shoes focus on practicality, these flats wouldn’t look out of place at a smart dinner or birthday party, for example. They are only available in black, but that makes the most sense when you consider the look that the manufacturers were going for.
- They are great for special occasions as well as everyday wear
- Memory foam insole molds to your foot for maximum comfort
- Relaxed fit and come in half sizes as well as full ones
- Can take a while to be worn in, as they are often tough at first
When it comes to comfort, both around the house and elsewhere, loafers are often brought up as an excellent option. This is because they are easy to slip on and off, and they usually have ample padding around the back and sides.
These Lena shoes are no exception – they are made from breathable organic cotton canvas, meaning they are environmentally sustainable as well as great for your feet.
Available in 4 unique designs, you can match your shoes to your mood: go casual with Aqua Haze, or jazz it up a bit with Leopard Rose. The elastic material gives them the flexibility to fit to the shape of your foot, and each shoe is incredibly lightweight. Additionally, there is a memory foam cushioned insole that you can leave in or take out as required.
- Casual style that is great for everyday wear
- Comes with cushioned insole with memory foam if you want it
- Machine washable for if the shoes become dirty or smelly
- Organic materials and no animal products
- Not much choice in designs, and there isn’t a plain option
When you hear the name ‘Crocs’, you probably think of one specific shoe only – the type that is featured above. However, the brand also makes plenty of other shoes, including this Patricia wedge sandal. The design is simple, with block colors and fixed straps running across the front, but it is effective and makes a timeless addition to any shoe collection.
If you prefer something with a little heel (but nothing crazy), these are the shoes for you. The heel height is just under 1.6 inches, with a full platform of 0.5 inches, giving you that slight lift that you are looking for.
The sole of the shoe is made with Croslite foam, which makes a comfy base to rest your foot for the whole day. What’s more, the sandals can be easily worn in water, making them a great option in any weather.
- Suitable for all weather conditions, including heavy rain
- Foam soles provide extra comfort
- Simple and elegant – can be dressed up or down
- Only available in 4 colors, and none are bright
- 100% synthetic – no natural materials
One of the main issues people can face as they get older is poor circulation, where the blood can’t easily get around the whole body. This means that the extremities often end up feeling cold, whether you’re in the house or out and about. These cozy booties have a thick faux fur lining to keep your feet warm throughout the day.
Don’t worry about them getting too warm, though, because the fur also has moisture-wicking properties – it keeps sweat away from your feet and leaves them feeling fresh.
Although the main body of the boot is soft material, the sole is made from a durable rubber that can withstand all kinds of flooring, both indoors and outdoors. Last but not least, the memory foam footbed cushions your feet nicely and absorbs shocks with each step.
- Suitable for interior or exterior usage
- Incredibly warm but also breathable, keeping sweat at bay
- Available in a variety of pleasing colors
- Doesn’t come in exact sizes, just approximate ones spanning two numerical sizes
- If you wear thick socks, you’ll need to order a size up from what you would normally order
When you’re suffering from a lot of foot pain and experiencing various medical issues related to your feet, probably the last thing you want to do is think about shoes – they’re essentially cages that restrict your feet and cause you more pain than before.
These orthopedic boat shoes take away all the stress of finding a comfortable pair, because they’re specially designed to combat common ailments you may have.
The insole provides ample arch support to align your leg and foot effectively, and also helps with problems associated with flat feet. Additionally, massaging gel waves and a memory foam base offer maximum comfort and ease pressure on your feet, however long you wear them for. The slip-on nature of the shoes means they are accessible and ready to go when you are.
- Designed for orthopedic usage, so won’t damage your feet further
- Unisex design with neutral colors
- Combats the effects of bunions, arthritis, diabetes and flat feet
- Not as breathable as other shoes, as the fabric doesn’t wick moisture
Another great orthopedic option is this pair of sturdy walking shoes that are made specifically for Plantar Fasciitis (but can equally be used for any number of foot conditions).
They will also correct your posture while you’re wearing them, which can help prevent aching in the rest of your body. The high-quality sole is the star of the show, as the rubber-like EVA injected into it makes a soft and flexible support for your feet.
The lace-up closure is commonly seen in many everyday shoes, but you won’t often find it in shoes for the older generation. This is mainly because it is considered not to offer the same accessibility as Velcro, for example. However, it works well in this case, since you don’t actually have to tie the laces – they are elastic so you can fit your feet into the shoes easily.
- Several colors, including plain, contrasting color and leopard-print designs
- Helps with posture and provides plenty of arch support
- Robust yet flexible sole for maximum comfort
- Easy to slip on and off
- May feel loose on your feet as you cannot adjust the size
- Contains leather, so be aware if you prefer animal-free products
These simple shoes are ideal for all kinds of foot complaints, from swollen feet to plantar fasciitis, and will also help with the effects of things like high blood pressure and diabetes.
They are fully breathable, using only specially-selected fabrics that have this quality on the inside, so you can’t sweat profusely while wearing them. On the outside, the material uses a flying weave, which makes it more durable than regular fabric and resistant to wear and tear.
The shoe features a single Velcro strap, so it’s adjustable and easy to manipulate, even with feeble or shaky hands. Another manual adjustment it allows you to make is the instep, which you can extend all the way to the shoes to fix it firmly in place. The non-slip sole completes the design, since it prevents you from falling by increasing the friction between the shoe and the ground.
- Velcro strap is convenient and allows for a snug fit
- Flying weave upper and rubber sole combine for a tough, durable exterior
- Helps prevent falls and other sleep-related accidents
- Only available in 2 colors: black or navy blue
These may look like any other sneakers for running, walking, or other activities, but they actually have a number of special features that make them incredibly supportive for your feet.
These Walkers have been around for a long time and with good reason, as customers always find them super comfortable – if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. The combination of science and style means these will win you over every time.
One of the main things to note about these shoes is the removable footbed that keeps you grounded and stable. It was designed by podiatrists, and the overall shoes have received a Seal of Acceptance from the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA). What more proof can you need that they make excellent footwear for all your daily requirements?
- Recognized by the APMA as helping to keep your feet healthy
- Footbed is removable, so you can take it out or leave in
- Active Motion System technology utilizes your gait efficiently
- May dig into your feet at certain pressure points
- The toes on the underside are susceptible to wear and tear
Keeping fit is especially important when we hit middle age and later life, so if you’re serious about running, these are the shoes for you. They certainly look like they mean business, and they match up to high expectations in terms of performance as well.
The GEL cushion technology is able to absorb shocks so your body doesn’t have to, and the FlyteFoam Propel Technology offers unrivaled bounce with every step – you’ll feel like you’re flying.
The shoes are made from a mixture of synthetic and mesh materials, which have been specially chosen to keep your feet well-ventilated from every direction.
Our favorite thing about these running shoes is that they come in almost any color you can imagine; we particularly love the Safety Yellow/Aquarium design, but feel free to browse the whole selection to find some that stand out to you.
- Available in many different colors to suit every taste
- Innovative foam and gel technology provides top-notch performance and comfort
- Suitable for athletics and other high-octane activities
- More expensive than most options in this list, as well as the average pair of supportive shoes
The name Dr. Scholl has become synonymous with footcare, since the brand is known for its products that keep your feet in great working order. These stylish loafers are no exception – they have been expertly crafted with anatomical cushioning and comfort insole technology to balance their great look with the latest shoe trends.
The heel is almost 1 inch high, which may seem high for a support shoe, but has actually been proven to help maintain proper posture. You can wear the loafers wherever and whenever you want, as they will go with any outfit; if you don’t want to stick to a pale gray or taupe color, why not go for the jazzy Tan Black Leopard design? Whichever you go for, you will be able to slip them on and off without worrying about fiddly closure mechanisms.
- Looks like a fashion shoe but with advanced technology for added support
- Slip-on so you can be ready to go in seconds
- The microfiber material has the appearance of suede
- Not weather-resistant, so avoid wearing them in the rain
- Do not accommodate wide feet well
Here’s one for the men: these loafer shoes have been designed with footcare in mind, so you can maintain your masculine look while also looking after your feet. They are friendly for your skin and don’t contain any allergens that could trigger adverse reactions when you put them on. The breathable material is moisture-wicking and will help to keep your feet dry for as long as you need them to be.
The arch design in particular stands out as a unique feature – they are contoured with a deep heel cup, meaning that the footbed is anatomically correct and will align with your actual feet better this way. In addition, the rubber sole is durable and provides stability , so you are less likely to trip and injure yourself while wearing them.
- Comes with a 100% money-back guarantee in case you are not satisfied
- Slip-on for easy access that saves you time
- Helps relieve plantar fasciitis and foot pain, as well as correcting posture
- The shoes can end up trapping unpleasant odors after short periods of time
If you’re looking for a casual sneaker for everyday use, here is your solution. While these are not designed for heavy exercise, they are perfect as general shoes to wear out and about, and nobody would ever know they’re orthopedic shoes. They look just like any other sneakers, with a fashionable design that will stand the test of time and let you blend in effortlessly with your pals.
Canvas and suede are the main body materials, and they are both resistant to wrinkles and highly wearable. Other materials include cushion mesh fabric for the lining, and durable EVA soles. The orthotic inserts included offer comprehensive support to your arches and distribute pressure evenly over your feet, keeping them stable throughout your chosen activities.
- You wouldn’t be able to tell by the design that they’re orthopedic shoes
- High level of arch support, even if you have fallen arches
- Great value for the price
- Not suitable for rainy weather as they’re not waterproof
These are billed as both walking shoes and work shoes, which can be confusing until you realize that they’re actually suitable for any occasion you could want them for – standing at work, grocery shopping, workouts, gardening, or general traveling. They feature an interesting two-tone design that is sure to get you noticed by everyone in sight, and they feel as good as they look.
Your steps will be softened by the cushioning interior, as well as the rubber outer sole that can handle all kinds of terrain with ease. The insole offers arch support with its memory foam structure, helping to relieve foot pain from ailments such as bunions or plantar fasciitis. Plus, with no awkward fastening mechanisms to catch you out, you can simply slip these shoes on and be on your way in seconds.
- Elastic outer materials make them easy to slip on and wear
- Outsole is slip resistant, with intelligently-places traction patches
- Well-priced, offering excellent value for money
- They come up large so you may need to order a size lower than usual
The phrase ‘nurse shoes’ probably brings up mental images of clompy, plain and serious shoes that you could wear for work but not social occasions. Fortunately, the footwear offerings in this area have improved dramatically in recent times, so such professionals have more choice than ever before. Even if you’re not a nurse, these Git-Up shoes will be just right for whatever work you happen to be doing.
Thanks to a handy Velcro strap across the middle, you can adjust the shoes according to how tight you would like them. The air cushion heel allows you to stand up for long periods without getting tired, while also absorbing shocks from your legs striking the ground. Not only do they look after your health, but they also work to tone your legs as you go about your daily business.
- Choose from a wide range of colors – you could even buy different pairs for different occasions!
- Tone your legs as well as combating foot pain and keeping you comfortable
- Breathable fabric minimizes sweating
- The heel is still quite bulky, and you might prefer one that is more hidden
These may be loafers that are comfy for casual wear, but they are also smart enough for wearing in the office or other work environments. Aside from the easy Velcro fastening, they look just like any other pair of leather work shoes.
Although these are also made of leather, it is a much softer version of the material than you would get elsewhere, which means you don’t have to break the shoes in for weeks before you can wear them properly.
They have a memory foam footbed with a gel heel insert, as well as a padded tongue and mesh linings – all of these work in conjunction to produce a breathable shoe that molds to your feet and is suitable for wearing all day long. The rubber outer sole is flexible and durable, so it will bend with your feet to accommodate all your daily activities and needs.
- Perfect smart shoe if you need more foot support at work
- Single Velcro closure for ease of use
- Available in medium, wide and extra wide sizes
- Only comes in one color – not ideal if you don’t like brown
Aside from the comfort aspect, here are some other things to think about when you’re buying shoes in your older years.
The type of shoes you get will depend very much on what you need them for. There are various activities that all require different characteristics in the shoes you wear to do them.
For example, you will likely need fairly smart shoes for work, running shoes or sneakers for working out and general exercise, and cozy slippers for lounging around at home.
The more strenuous the activity, the more support you will need your shoe to give. You should also think about the weather, and if your shoes must be warm, waterproof or light and airy.
One of the main issues anyone faces when buying shoes is that it’s not always easy to know if they will fit or not. This is especially true when you have foot problems such as plantar fasciitis, or similar issues caused by diabetes or arthritis; your feet may be swollen or much flatter than they were in your youth.
You will need a snug fit that offers you a great deal of stability when walking, but also has enough room inside to let your feet breathe. That’s why we recommend you visit a physical store when choosing your shoes, as that’s the only way you can tell for sure if they’re a good fit for you.
Shoes come with all sorts of different closure mechanisms so you can get them on and off. Many regular shoes have laces, but these aren’t usually the best for the elderly. First of all, they can be fiddly to tie up, especially when you have arthritic fingers or conditions like Parkinson’s.
They also mean that you have to stoop down to get them on, and it can be difficult for people to get back up again after they’ve done this. Look for closures such as Velcro, or shoes that simply slip on and off without any closure mechanism at all.
Alternatively, you can get laces with tonal elasticity, which means that you don’t need to actually tie them as they can stretch to accommodate your feet.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do Shoes Cost More In Old Age?
As you will have realized throughout your life experience, you often get what you pay for in terms of clothing and many other commodities – much cheaper products are likely to be lower quality and prone to breakages.
Of course, this doesn’t mean that you need to fork out huge amounts of money on your shoes, but you should consider your purchase carefully so you can make a wise investment. It might be the case that you need to spend a little more money than you were hoping, but it’s worth it to get the right fit and be comfortable.
Shoes that are suitable for those in their more advanced years will often have features that are specifically designed to keep your feet comfortable. Manufacturers know that your feet can cause you all sorts of issues at this time, so they add in various things to help combat the effects.
These include gel heel cushions, memory foam insoles, a wide mouth opening, and a non-slip sole, among others. While they are all useful, they will of course make the shoes cost more than standard shoes without any of the extras.
It is reasonable that you want to be cautious about not paying over the odds, especially at this time in your life when you may not have a lot of disposable income. However, we can guarantee that buying any of the shoes in this list will represent good value for money, and you won’t be scammed with shoes that promise the world yet don’t deliver.