As we get older, many of the simple daily tasks that we take for granted can become more difficult. Even something as simple as walking can be a struggle, but that doesn’t mean you have to spend your old age trapped in an armchair.
If you’re looking for a way to stay fit and healthy in old age, then walking is actually one of the best forms of exercise that you can choose, although it still comes with risks.
One of the biggest things that puts elderly people off walking is the risk of falling. As we get older, the risk of breaking a bone or sustaining a similar kind of injury after tripping and falling over increases.
Since the chance of recovery is also greatly diminished, falling is something that many elderly people will try to avoid at all costs.
This is exactly where a good walker can help. Walkers are metal frames that sometimes have wheels on the bottom.
They are used by elderly people and those with severe leg injuries to provide support and stability to help them walk around their homes and neighborhoods.
In this article, we will show you a few of the best walkers for getting regular exercise and escaping your home for a pleasant stroll.
This is one of the most popular walkers available today. It’s lightweight, foldable, and can be easily used as a standard or front-wheeled walker depending on what you prefer.
The Vive mobility folding walker has a sturdy aluminum frame with adjustable back legs to provide stability and support. You can swap out the front legs for a pair of wheels, which allows you to turn it into a front-wheeled walker when you’re getting tired.
This product comes with a bag for storing it in, and can be folded flat with the push of a button. It also comes with a pouch for carrying your valuables that can be attached to the front where it can be easily accessed.
- Sturdy and durable walker.
- Folds flat with the push of a button for easy storage.
- There are two sets of interchangeable front legs, one of which has wheels.
- The pouch is difficult to attach and detach from the walker.
Also available at: ViveHealth
If you don’t have serious issues with walking and just need a little extra support now and again, then you will love this simple, yet sturdy walker made by Drive Medical.
It is designed to be used with only one hand, offering more support than a cane would, without getting in your way.
The front legs are adjustable, so you can alter the height as you need. This is the perfect product for seniors who don’t strictly need a walker, but require more support than a cane can provide.
- Can be used and folded away with just one hand.
- Narrow and great for navigating tight corridors in a home.
- Provides more support than a cane without getting in the way.
- The hard rubber handle isn’t very comfortable to hold onto for prolonged periods of time.
This is a front-wheeled walker, which is very useful for seniors who struggle to lift their walker with every step. Since it is made from anodized aluminum, this walker is incredibly light, which will make it easy to carry upstairs or over obstacles.
Don’t be fooled by its weight though, this walker is very strong and will provide a lot of support for those who need it. The wheels on this product have rubber tires that will allow it to roll through your home without making a lot of noise.
- Lightweight and highly durable frame.
- Folds flat with two buttons.
- Quiet wheels with solid rubber tires.
- The rubber handles are a bit too hard.
Also available at: Lowes
Rollators have four wheels, which makes them much easier to use, and often come with lots of great features to provide additional support. The four wheels on this model are smooth but will still provide plenty of traction for different types of terrain.
Like many other rollators, this model has a canvas seat behind the handles, so you can take a small break when you are tired of walking.
The Vive Mobility folds into an incredibly compact shape, which makes it easy to pack into a car and store in any cupboard in your home.
- The wheels provide great traction with minimal noise.
- Comfortable handles with ergonomic brakes.
- Includes a bag for storing the different components and a cone holder.
- The chair on this rollator may be too thin for heavier users.
Also available at: ViveHealth
The Drive Medical 10257BL-2 4-Wheel Rollator is a heavy-duty rollator that comes with a special compartment under the seat that you can store your valuables in.
It has a wide wheelbase that provides extra stability, and ergonomic handles with brakes, so you stop the device from rolling ahead of you.
This model is very easy to adjust for any height and can support weights of up to 300lbs. As such, it isn’t the best choice for heavier individuals, but it is still a sturdy walker that is easy and comfortable to use.
- Ergonomic handles with easy to use brakes.
- Large casters that are suitable for both indoor and outdoor environments.
- Helpful compartment under the seat for storing your belongings.
- Low maximum weight capacity.
This is another standard walker that helps with standing up out of a seat by having two sets of handlebars. Unlike the Lumex Uprise, this model is a bit more streamlined, which will help with navigating doorways and corridors inside the home.
There are two buttons for collapsing the walker, which makes it very easy to store and unlikely to fold-up by accident. Since it is made from aluminum, this product is very light while still being strong enough to support people under 300lbs.
- Can be used as a toilet safety frame.
- Two sets of handles makes it easier to go from sitting to standing.
- The handles are made of soft foam for extra comfort.
- The instructions for this walker say that it comes with a bag, but it does not.
Also available at: MedLine
If you are low on storage space, then you will love just how compact this walker is once it is fully folded away. The Able Life space saver is narrow enough to navigate the corridors in most homes, making it a great choice for people who need help indoors as well as outside.
The 6-inch wheels are coupled with rubber skis on the back legs, which makes this walker very easy to push through your house. The adjustable height feature is very stable, even at maximum extension, although they may still be too short for users above 6 ft.
- Skis allow you to push the walker over floors without damaging them.
- Folds into an incredibly compact shape.
- Can be fitted with swivel wheels and other useful accessories.
- Not suitable for outdoor use.
Also available at: AbleLifeSolutions
This rollator comes with a large pouch on the front which is perfect for storing any essential items such as wallets and keys. There is also another pouch located under the seat, making this a great choice for anyone who needs a rollator with a fair bit of storage space.
The handles on this model are comfortable to hold and have ergonomic brakes to stop the walker rolling away from you when you try to lean on it. When you are ready for a break, the padded seat and backrest will provide a great place to sit down and recuperate.
- Padded seat and backrest provide excellent comfort.
- Offers plenty of storage space for valuables and personal belongings.
- Ergonomic handles and brakes.
- Difficult to reopen once folded.
Also available at: HugoAnywhere
If you have a child who has a bad ankle or leg injury, or an elderly relative who is short of stature, then this junior folding walker is definitely worth considering. This model is designed for shorter individuals who may struggle to use an ordinary standard walker.
The height is adjustable, making this product suitable for most people, provided that they are under 6ft. There are rubberized grips on the wheels, which allows them to provide great traction on almost any surface, including hardwood and tile floors.
- You can choose which side you want to put the wheels on.
- Suitable for children with bad ankle or leg injuries.
- Lightweight yet strong and sturdy aluminum frame.
- The wheels have a tendency to wobble.
Also available at: HealthlineUSA
Knee scooters are a special kind of walker for those with severe knee or ankle injuries that prevent them from walking. They have a special padded seat for you to rest the knee of your injured leg on, while your other leg propels the scooter forward.
This model is a deluxe knee scooter with a plush padded seat that is very comfortable and supportive. It also has three wheels with large chunky tires that are suitable for traveling over any kind of terrain.
As such, this product lets you escape the house and explore the outdoor world, even when you have an injury that should prevent you from doing so.
- The padded seat is very comfortable for resting an injured knee on.
- Swiveling front wheels and brakes give you complete control of your movement.
- The large tires are suitable for all environments, both indoor and outdoor.
- Heavy and difficult to store.
Also available at: KneeRover
A foldable walker is one of the best options for someone who needs a sturdy walker that can be folded away at a moment’s notice.
This model is designed with a wide base and small wheels to make it easy to maneuver around tight spaces. Below the handle bars, you will find two triggers for unlocking the middle section, so the walker can be folded flat.
Since you need to press both handles to fold the walker, it is unlikely to collapse by accident. The handles are made from soft ribbed rubber, which will be comfortable to hold for the duration of long walks.
- Handles are comfortable to hold.
- Easy to fold away and put into a car or cupboard.
- Swivel wheels make it easier to navigate tight spaces.
- The wheels may snag on the seams of tile floors.
The zoom rollator is a premium product that comes with a padded leather seat and large wheels. It is ideal for older adults who still enjoy some mobility and would like to avoid using a wheelchair.
The tires on this product are grooved to provide excellent grip on a variety of different surfaces, from concrete to carpets.
The brakes have been designed to be instantly applied with minimal pressure from your hand. This makes it easier to stop your rollator even if you don’t have great strength in your fingers.
- Padded leather seat with backrest.
- Heavy-duty casters for moving over all types of terrain.
- Feather touch hand brakes make it easy to stop the rollator
- The seat may be too narrow for some.
Also available at: NovaJoy
The issue with most rollators is that they are bulky, heavy and often difficult to navigate around tight spaces.
That isn’t a problem with this Lumex Lite rollator, which only weighs 14.5lbs, making it easy to fold up and load into or out of your car. Despite its low weight, this rollator is made from a sturdy aluminum frame with a comfortable padded seat and backrest.
There is a basket under the seat, which makes this a good product to take shopping with you. However, the holes in the basket may not make it suitable for smaller items such as wallets and keys.
- Lightweight, streamlined rollator.
- Ergonomic handles and brakes.
- The front wheels swivel to make navigating tight corners much easier.
- The basket isn’t great for storing small, valuable items.
This lightweight walker has a compact folding design that allows it to fit easily into a vehicle’s trunk. It has swivel wheels that will lock in place when traveling in a straight line, making it easy to navigate and steer.
Behind the wheel are rubber skis which make it easier to push the walker without damaging the floors in your home.
This front wheeled walker is suitable for anyone under 400lbs, and its sturdy aluminum frame offers plenty of support and stability. There is a helpful pouch on the front of the walker that is great for storing your wallet, keys or other essential items.
- Folds down to an incredibly compact size.
- Swivel wheels allow for better steering.
- Front pouch for storing valuables and personal belongings.
- The wheels may wobble on some models.
Also available at: Stander
The Medline Premium Empower Rollator is a high quality walker that is built to last. It features a durable steel frame and a plush padded seat and backrest, which offers both comfort and support.
This seat can be easily folded up, allowing you to reach sinks and table tops without having to move your rollator to the side.
The back wheels feature a locking mechanism, so they won’t slip away while you are leaning on the rollator for support. There is a large soft bag located under the seat, which is great for storing all kinds of things, from books to small items for shopping.
- Extra plush padded seat with comfy backrest.
- Step-inside design that allows you to fold up the seat to reach items on tables and countertops.
- Loop brakes on the handles are easy to use.
- Cup holder on the side.
- Heavy compared to other rollators.
Also available at: Medline
If you’re looking for a lightweight stand-assist walker that folds up for storage, then look no further than the Goplus 3-in 1 Stand-Assist Filing Walker.
With a sleek, polished metal aesthetic, this model has two sets of handlebars to help elderly people stand up out of chairs. The casters on this front-wheeled walker have solid rubber tires that move smoothly over most surfaces without making a lot of noise.
You can adjust the height to stay at a fixed level, or switch to interactive mode so that you can alter the height on the fly. With textured grip handles, this walker is comfortable to use without hurting your hands.
- The handles have a textured grip.
- Solid tires on the wheels won’t mark the floors in your home and are reasonably silent.
- Both fixed and interactive height modes that can be switched between with a single button.
- A little short for anyone over 6ft tall.
This three wheeled rollator still provides great stability but is more narrow than other models making it better for navigating tight spaces.
It has large wheels with thick tires that are designed to travel over most types of terrain with ease. Just like the last NOVA product we looked at, this model has feather touch brakes that are easy to operate even if you don’t have lots of strength in your fingers.
One of the best features of this rollator is the amount of storage it offers. With a front basket and tray, as well as a pouch located at the rear, this is a great item to take on your next shopping trip.
- Provides excellent stability and support.
- Narrow width for better maneuverability.
- Large all terrain tires.
- Axles on the rear wheels may scratch some narrow doorways when used inside.
Also available at: McCannsMedical
If you are looking for a heavy duty rollator that can support weights of up to 500lbs, then look no further. This Rollator made by Invacare is made from high quality, durable components that allow it to offer unparalleled support and stability.
It comes with a padded seat that has a large pouch under it for storing belongings and valuable items.
It should come as no surprise that this rollator is one of the heaviest on this list. As such, it isn’t recommended for anyone looking for something lightweight that they can easily lift into the trunk of their car.
For larger individuals, however, this is a great walker that will last for many years to come.
- Made from durable components to support more weight.
- Solid wheels that provide great traction and minimal noise.
- A large pouch located under the seat makes a great place to store shopping or valuable items.
- Bulky, heavy and difficult to lift or carry.
Also available at: HomeProMedical
A walker is an essential piece of equipment for many people as they get older. They allow seniors to remain mobile and enjoy regular exercise without the risk of falling or wearing themselves out.
In this section, we will highlight some crucial things to look out for when buying a walker.
The Different Types Of Walkers
There are three different types of walker commonly found on the market, including standard, front-wheeled and rollator walkers.
Standard walkers are the simplest type, and are made up of a simple metal frame with four legs. If your mobility isn’t severely limited, and you just need a bit of extra support now and then, then this is a great choice for you.
Some standard walkers will come with two sets of handlebars to help elderly people stand up out of chairs.
Front wheeled walkers are the same as standard ones except for the pair of wheels they have on the front legs. The wheels allow you to push them over the ground rather than lift them up with every step.
This is great for people who have less strength in their arms and legs and don’t want to lift their walker like a cane.
Generally, front wheeled walkers will struggle outdoors when used over rough surfaces. Rollators on the other hand have four wheels, which helps them perform better outdoors.
These rollators require the least effort to push along and often have breaks so you can lock the wheels and lean on the walker for support when you need it.
They also have seats built into the frame that offer a great place to sit down when you’re tired from walking.
One of the most important things to consider when shopping for a walker is how heavy it is. Since you will be using the walker to move around your home and outside, there will be times when you need to lift it up steps or over obstacles.
Perhaps you want to take your walker with you on a family trip, in which case it will need to be lifted in and out of the car. Most walkers will fold up to make this easier, but it is important to buy one that is lightweight if you want to transport it without difficulty.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Calculate The Correct Height For My Walker?
To find the right height for your walker, you should stand up straight while wearing shoes and letting your arms hang naturally to the sides. Measure the distance from the crease of your wrist to the floor. This is the exact height that your walker’s handlebars should be at.
Most walkers will have adjustable legs that will allow you to make them taller or shorter as you need. If your walker is too tall or too high, then it may lead to back problems or other issues when used for long periods of time.