As we look forward to the new year, we may be wondering what we can do to help to make our new year healthy and happy.
Most things are easy and they can make us or others for whom we care happy and healthy too!
There are things we can all do each day.
They aren’t that hard and can make a big difference in our health and outlook!
Attitude is Everything
Studies show that when you have a positive attitude, your health is impacted positively.
Happy people get sick less often (yes, really!).
Depression and even anxiety can lead to illness but good attitude can protect us from diseases like heart disease, asthma, diabetes and maybe even cancer.
Even sick people who have a positive outlook recover quicker.
Dr. Ellen Idler, an Emory University professor, who studies attitude and illness states “People should occasionally turn their attention away from risks to their health and focus on the resources they have to stay healthy.”
Ways To Be Happier And Healthier Everyday!
Here are some actions you and your senior loved one can take each day to improve not only your health but also your happiness!
- Smile — it will make you feel better and it’s contagious
- Dress right for the weather
- Visit the dentist regularly
- Get plenty of rest
- Make sure your hair is dry before going outside
- Eat right
- Get outside in the sun every once in a while
- Always wear a seatbelt
- Control your drinking of alcoholic beverages
- Brush twice a day! Don’t forget to floss!
- Don’t over indulge yourself
- Bathe regularly
- Read to exercise the brain
- Surround yourself with friends
- Stay away from too much caffeine
- Use the bathroom regularly and drink a glass of water each time you go
- Get plenty of exercise
- Have your eyes checked regularly
- Eat plenty of vegetables and enjoy a rainbow of nutrition
- Believe that people will like you for who you are
- Forgive and forget
- Take plenty of vacations
- Celebrate all special occasions
- Pick up a hobby
- Love your neighbor as yourself
- Have a nice day and spread it to others!
Most of these things are easy to do and we already practice them at times.
Getting a reminder to incorporate these activities into our daily routines, so that they become habit, can help caregivers and their seniors obtain a better quality of life.
We hope you all enjoy spreading your attitude with others as we begin a New Year and continue it throughout the new year!